Sunday, May 24, 2009

Japan - Buses, Bicycles, Subways and Trains



So many things have happened since I last posted:



Have been to Japan and back. What a trip. I walked more than I have in the last 10 years and rode a bicycle which I haven’t done in probably as long…

Things that stand out:

Hardly any homes in Japan have lawns. They have small rock, tree and flower gardens, if they have more room they have a vegetable garden and if they have even more room they have a rice paddy. Even in the cities.


If the bus, subway or train is crowded it is very quiet other than the announcements. They just don’t talk to each other, even groups, even the school kids. That was amazing to me. It seem that the more crowded the system was the less noise from the crowds.


Bicycles everywhere. Riding right down the sidewalk among the people or out in the roads with the cars and some really flying along.


Motorcycles. Do not obey any laws of traffic that I could see. They zipped in and around cars, buses and people and were always speeding.

The Japanese people do not stare. While on the train one day a little girl of about 3 years old was staring at my daughter and I…her mother quickly reprimanded her and told her to quit.

Other Americans or none Japanese people also seem to ignore you. When we would pass someone on the street, subway or bus they would not look at us, or acknowledge us in any way. I found this rather odd and ask about it, DD said it seems to be some unwritten rule that you do not acknowledge each other???? She didn’t know why but has found more than just herself has noticed it. I only ran into a few people who actually looked at me and returned my smile. They must have been tourist’s also.

I don’t care much for traditional Japanese food.


After a while all temples and shrines look the same. My daughter had said this before but for some reason I didn’t much believe her, but found it to be true.

I have way more pictures but haven't gotten them all downloaded and reformated...hope to post more this weekend.

5 Comments:

Blogger Linda O'Neill said...

Great pics, Jonna...what a wonderful time you must have had. You've been missed though!

6:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah Bohren said...

Very interesting post! I am glad you were able to go! Great pictures!!

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Tina said...

What a fascinating place. I can't wait to hear more. Great photos. Glad you're back!

8:55 PM  
Blogger Patti Sandham said...

Great pictures! I would love to see more, hint, hint. Asian culture and art is so interesting.

Cheers Patti

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Making money on the internet is easy in the underground world of [URL=http://www.www.blackhatmoneymaker.com]blackhat team[/URL], It's not a big surprise if you don't know what blackhat is. Blackhat marketing uses alternative or misunderstood avenues to produce an income online.

12:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home